A fiery nebula and stellar nursery

Potemkin (TNG), U.S.S.

The second starship Potemkin was constructed over a period of three years and commissioned in 2305. It served with valor and distinction for twenty years before its first major refit. In 2330, it encountered a subspace distortion and disappeared. Discovered adrift along the edge of the Betreka Nebula in 2341 by a survey ship, it was towed to Starbase G-6 and recommissioned a year later. It served for another fifteen years and was refitted for a third time in 2356.

In 2361, William T. Riker was assigned to the Potemkin as a lieutenant. He later would lead an away team to Nervala IV and would be duplicated by a transporter malfunction caused by an energy distortion field surrounding the planet. Aboard the Potemkin, Riker first tried the unconventional tactic of positioning the ship over a planet's magnetic pole to confuse another ship's sensors. Also during 2361, the Potemkin became the last starship to visit the failed colony at Turkana IV (prior to the U.S.S. Enterprise-D's visit in 2367).

The Potemkin underwent a fourth refit in 2368. During the refit, its dedication plaque was lost, and was not definitively seen again until 2390 aboard the Potemkin-C, though it had been implicated in the appearance of the Blue Stuff on several occasions over the preceding decades (TEM: "The Elements of Time").

This Potemkin's dedication plaque read:

"A generation of men is like a generation of leaves; the wind scatters some leaves upon the ground, while others the burgeoning wood brings forth – and the season of Spring comes on. So of men: one generation springs forth and another ceases." — Homer

Related Entries

Potemkin (TOS), U.S.S. Federation Ships
Potemkin-A, U.S.S. Federation Ships
Potemkin-B, U.S.S. Federation Ships
Potemkin-C, U.S.S. Federation Ships
Blue Stuff™ Beverages
Article viewed 1365 times.